Sunday, May 14, 2017

Event 2


For my second event I attended Eli Joteva’s Mnemoawari installation in the EDA at Broad Art Center. I went to the opening of the event so I saw the initial stages of the pieces. While there I heard Joteva speak briefly on the works and she mentioned the pieces possible transformation over the next three days of the installation being there. I unfortunately went out of town the following day but wish I could have seen the pieces transformations over time.

The installation included four main sections including a variety of mediums but connected by an over arching message. The message was regarding how memory spans over the past, present, and future. I attended the sections in the following order but later found of the meaning was meant to go in the opposite direction that I experienced them in.

The first section was definitely my favorite - it was a large projection on the wall when you entered the gallery. It resembled colors through a lense of glass of some sort to me. It was hard to make out exactly but I thought it was beautiful and set a strong presences and mood for the rest of the gallery experience.
I later found out this stage was supposed to represent the 'future'. The single projected sphere was meant to represent her future dreams.



The second section was the most interesting to me. Joteva hung three natural sculptures from the ceiling each having slightly different combination of elements. The introduction poster indicated that these sculptures included “water, flowers, fungi, seeds, sand, light, aluminum, sound, heat and time”. Each include frozen ice though which dripped the different elements into pans below. This is the section that I image will transform with time and I hope to see photos of the movement - I image they will be quite beautiful. As a DESMA student I rarely deal with physical installations but instead the digital forms, I was amazed she was able to handle such delicate mediums and pull off such a clean display. I particularly enjoyed one of the sculptures which due to a reflection from an above light - projected a beautiful reflection on the wall.

I later found out this stage was meant to represent the 'present' and this is the transforming stage, the spheres physically change over the three days.


The third section I unfortunately couldn't take a photo of because it was Virtual Reality. The headpiece was hanging from the ceiling. I would say my one critique would be that most of the visitors I saw passing through did not notice the goggles so they did not get to experience them. Additionally it was the one section of the gallery that I felt was out of place of the others. However I do think VR is such a fascinating medium that it was nice of her to include it.

The last section was projection on the 3 wall immersive EDA room. I really enjoyed this section as well. I thought it tied into the overall gallery very well. The three spheres were projected on three huge walls. I later found out these represented the "past" because they were perfect examples of the spheres. 


I think this installation was a great example of use of technology and art. I wonder if Joteva was meaning to reference the melting icebergs and global warming issues we are dealing with in our world today. Overall I really enjoyed the gallery and think Joteva did a wonderful job. I thought it was very visually pleasing and after having the stages explained to me they messages were very strong. However, without knowing the message I would have not known the message very clearly.

Below is a picture of me and my friend MK at the event.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Event 1

EXTRA CREDIT EVENT 1 I was unable to attend the opening night of Delete Me due to a class conflict so I instead attended the following ...